This is a sponsored conversation written by me on
behalf of DaySpring. The opinions and text are all mine.
Do you ever feel like the world is just such a downer place to live? The news reels are filled with depressing stories of hate, bad choices, opposition, and just all around negativity. When we turn to social media it can be hard to compare ourselves to those images of a perfect day/child/home/life. It’s really easy to get caught up in the negativity and find ourselves stuck in a rut. I’m sharing some of the simple things you can do to uplift your day and be happy!
9 Simple Ways to Uplift Your Day
1. Set Aside Time to Meditate – Sometimes meditation gets a bad reputation. All it means is reflect back on your day or think ahead to the days to come or even just focus on a thought or feeling that’s been affecting you and take the time to process those thoughts. Clearing up your mind and paying attention to how you feel will help you feel more centered and able to focus.
2. Journal Your Thoughts – Keeping a journal of the way you feel, the thoughts and inspirations that come to you, and the spiritual experiences you have is a powerful way to reflect back and realize all the many ways you are blessed and to help you feel more gratitude in your life. Being grateful makes you much more upbeat and happy.
3. Uplifting Music – Music has an incredible power to affect us. A catchy tune with a great beat can get us up out of our seats dancing along or a calming piano ballad can help us to relax and feel calm even during a stressful day. Look for music that will uplift you and make you a better person. I listen to my local Christian station all the time as it makes me remember who I am and what’s really important in this life and keeps me grounded and focused.
4. Unwind with Coloring – Adult coloring is all the rage right now, and for good reason! Coloring is a really great way to unwind and calm your mind if you’re facing a lot of worries or feeling anxious or upset. Pick a coloring book with uplifting quotes and you can frame them when you finish to give them double purpose of sprucing up your space.
5. Seek the Positive – There is so much negativity all around us. Just turn on the news, or Facebook. It’s so easy to get caught up in feeling all those negative feelings and get discouraged about the world around us. Don’t focus on all the negative like the judgmental few that are looking to hurt others and the sad stories that leave you feeling hopeless. Instead, look for and share uplifting stories. Those times that went just right or when a friend came to the rescue in your time of need or get wrapped up in the exciting news of weddings, babies, graduations and more!
6. Be Purposeful with your Day – Planning ahead for your day, whether that might be at the beginning of the week, the night before, or even just first thing in the morning, will help you focus on the things that are most important to you and help keep you from feeling discouraged. There are so many things that we can fill our time with, but there are certainly things that make a much bigger impact on our happiness than others. Such as spending time with family, setting aside dinner to be tech-free and talking to each other, doing something you love, helping and serving others, etc.
7. Share Your Time and Talents – Along with the last idea of a thoughtful gift, make sure you spend a little bit of time each day giving of your time to help someone else in need. That can be helping a friend with the carpool route or assisting an elderly lady at the grocery store or even preparing a musical number to share at an upcoming event as a volunteer. Whatever you can do that takes the focus off yourself will help you stay humble and in turn will keep you feeling happy and content with your own life.
8. Give to Someone – We can always find someone less fortunate than us, or someone who simply has a need that we can help fill. There are so many exciting reasons to celebrate with someone like the birth of a new baby or a child’s birthday or even a baptism or graduation to celebrate. Other occasions may give you the opportunity to mourn and comfort someone else. A thoughtful card and a small gift to accompany it can mean the world to the recipient and will really brighten your day as well.
9. Keep Uplifting Messages Nearby – A great way to block out all the negativity in the world is to keep quotes, messages, scriptures, or even notes from loved ones out on display where you’ll see them throughout your day. It will really help you focus on something positive and change your attitude!