There are so many reasons to love music. As adults, we enjoy music for dancing, entertainment, with movies, for singing along in the car, unwinding, and many other times. Just as adults love music, kids really do too. Introducing your children to music at a young age can help build their love and interest in music and be a great place to grow and develop. Let me share a few reasons you should introduce your children to music!
I received compensation and a complimentary Music Together class for this post. All opinions are my own.
6 Reasons to Enjoy Music with your Kids
1. Fun & Engaging – Music has power behind it. A good beat can get you movin’ and groovin’. It can make the whole room turn into a party. You can use songs that have actions to go along with the words to get everyone involved, even your littlest tots!
2. Clean-Up Time! – Have you ever used music to get your children to do something? We’ve long sung a clean-up song to encourage everyone to help and pitch in when it’s time to clean up. I learned a great new trick at my local Music Together class with a simple 2-note sound that you can teach to indicate clean-up time! Once you’ve used it a few times, the kids will pick-up on the cue and help in the clean-up without the nagging.
3. Teach What Music Looks Like – We are quick to teach children what music sounds like, but right along with that you can easily introduce sheet music and show children what music actually looks like. It’s a perfect way to introduce early recognition of notes.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Music Together LLC
4. Love of Music – The more you introduce your children to music at a young age, the more likely they are to love music. It gives a great outlet for your children to be able to use music for entertainment, discipline, relaxing, de-stressing, or even for learning!
5. Learning, Too! – Music is an amazing tool for teaching. You can set facts to a tune and memorization becomes quick and fun! How many songs can you think of that you used through elementary school to learn facts? Like the presidents, states, alphabet, and many, many more!
6. Builds Community Connection – You can enroll in a family-child class through the community to provide a fun place to get out of the home, learn and play together, and meet new people.
Music Together is a program built to encourage this love of music through a parent-tot class setting that highly encourages parent participation to lead the way. Together, parents with their child from birth through age 7 move, learn and play through songs.
In the Music Together program, you’ll receive a workbook with all the songs including the sheet music and coordinating coloring pages that makes it simple to open the conversation with your child about musical notes, staffs, and how music really comes together.
My 8 month old and 4 year old and I attended a Music Together class in our area. The instructor was fantastic at getting everyone involved and helping the participants feel included and welcome. We start off with a welcome song that introduced all the classmates and then broke into songs that taught about animals, got us moving around the room, and gave us an opportunity to explore different instruments.