Hershey’s is looking for inspiration on ways to Ignite Summer Memories! I’m thrilled to get to participate as a virtual camp counselor for “Hershey’s Camp Bondfire” later this summer. We were able to have a get together with some friends to recreate one of my favorite and easiest ways to ignite summer memories: we created a barbecue and rounded off the meal with S’mores!
I had hoped to try cooking S’mores on the grill since I have never had the cooked on the grill before, but our propane tank was running low so we decided to cook them in the oven instead. Our friend brought over some massive marshmallows which made it really fun for the kids. The S’mores turned out delicious and we were all licking our fingers and very content with the yummy treat after dinner. In fact, I’ve made them several more times since our backyard party in the microwave because it really brought back how fun and delicious S’mores are! I’ve started adding two marshmallows to my creations, though, which makes it extra gooey and really balances great with the amount of graham crackers.
After dessert, we played Mario Party together and I think everyone’s favorite memory was one particular mini-game that came up where we each had to choose “0 or 1″. Then, all the numbers were added and the platform would spin leaving one player to get squished with the other three could jump up on top of the platform and do a ground pound to score points. By chance, my character continually ended up under the platform and each time my 5 year old would tease me and laugh and do a little party dance he thought it was so funny! It happened to work out that way all because I’d helped our friend who had started in the bad spot at the beginning of the game to select ’0′ so it wouldn’t land on her again, which left me in the hot seat! My character continued with bad luck throughout the game which became a running joke which I think will come up again in future games!
5 Ways to Ignite Summer Memories!
- Road Trip- Family vacations always inspire memories but some of my most favorite memories came from the road trips spent getting to and from our destination. So many inside family jokes were born and favorite stories to later recite were created while on the road!
- Camping- To me, summer isn’t complete without a camping trip which must include Hershey’s S’mores cooked over a nice warm fire! I treasure the memories I have camping growing up and feel this is a prime way to create family memories! My kids already know camping and S’mores go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly and are sure to not let us forget the simple ingredients when we’re packing up our camping supplies.
- Drive-In Movies – While the movie and sound quality may not be the best, there is nothing like piling into your car or truck and heading to the Drive-In theater! We will usually bring an air mattress and lower the seats in our van and all pile in the back to enjoy the show. This is such a fun way to spend time together with friends or family and create some great memories! Plus, the teenagers will love this suggestion as a way to ignite a summer romance!
- Hiking- My husband loves to hike, which means the rest of us get dragged along. Once we get outdoors and on the trail, we always have a fabulous time and really enjoy the scenery and each other’s company. The best part is hiking is completely free and keeps you in shape too!
- Barbecues - It seems like a summer wouldn’t be complete without a gathering together good food, friends, and fun. Cooking on the grill is a great way to keep the cooking heat outside and have an excuse to spend an evening outdoors. You can add S’mores to you menu for your dessert to keep all meal prep to the grill and bring in the fun of camping.
Check out my fun Ignite Summer Memories Pinterest Board!
How to Create S’mores at Home!
Roasting your marshmallows over the fire is the traditional way we all think of making and enjoying S’mores, but did you know you can easily create S’mores in your own home any time of the year? Here’s how:
- Grill – Preheat your grill to medium-heat. Assemble your S’mores and place inside an aluminum pie dish or on top of a sheet of aluminum foil and then place on the grill. Grill 4 to 5 minutes or until the marshmallow is melted.
- Oven or Toaster Oven – Assemble your S’mores without the top graham cracker. Bake at 350° for 4-6 minutes or until your marshmallows are puffed and the chocolate begins to melt. Cover with the remaining 1/2 Graham Cracker to complete your sandwich.
- Microwave – Layer your bottom graham cracker and chocolate. Cook in your microwave on high heat for 15-20 seconds until the chocolate is just barely starting to melt. Add your marshmallow and cook another 8-10 seconds until the marshmallow puffs and grows. Top with the second half of your graham cracker. Let cool a bit before eating.
For a perfect S’mores treat, try this simple recipe, layered in order: 1/2 a graham cracker, 1/4 of a HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate Bar, one to two large marshmallow, and top with the remaining half of your graham cracker!
Hershey’s Social Media Fun this Summer!
On Hershey’s Facebook Page you can find a fun “Hershey’s Camp Bondfire” where each week bloggers will participate as a virtual camp counselor sharing some of our best summer time tips for the theme of the week. My blog will be featured later this summer with my own tips and experience. Be sure to check out the Hershey’s Facebook Fan Page to check out the weekly tips and join in on the fun each week!
Hershey’s will be hosting a fun Twitter Party on National S’mores Day, August 10th. What a perfect day to throw a party! Time of the Twitter Party is still to be determined. Follow @Hersheys on Twitter to stay in the loop! I’ll be joining in on the fun at the Twitter Party, will you join us? Pencil the date into your calendar so you don’t forget!
Disclosure: I receive a gift card to purchase supplies for my Hershey’s S’mores party and a stipend for participating. Opinions expressed above are my own.