When I was off at college, I would make a banana cream pie at least once a month. It has to be the world’s easiest dessert, and was certainly the only one I knew how to make besides cookie dough, so it became my favorite. Way back then, though, I just used a box mix of pudding. It doesn’t even compare with homemade banana pudding!
Take the recipe a step further and fold in homemade whip cream, crumble vanilla wafers, and make it a banana cream pie trifle desert! Now I have a real desert worth showing off. Read on for the recipe!
Homemade Banana Pudding & Trifle Recipe
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Flour, All Purpose
- 3 Cups Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 1 (8oz) Package Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 (14oz) can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Large Bananas
- 1 Cup Vanilla wafers, crushed
1. In a large saucepan combine sugar, flour and milk. Heat over medium heat, whisking together until thickened. Continue to heat for an additional minute and then remove from heat.
2. In a chilled mixing bowl, whisk heavy whipping cream on high until stiff peaks form. Be sure to not over mix or you will get butter. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk eggs well and slowly add eggs to warm milk mixture, constantly whisking. Move mixture back to heat and bring to a low boil, whisking constantly. Once to a boil, allow to cook for 2 minutes and remove from heat, still in vanilla extract. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
4. In a stand mixer, combine cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and mix until smooth. Fold whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and set aside.
5. Once pudding has cooled, combine with cream cheese mixture.
6. In an ungreased trifle dish, sprinkle 1/3 of crushed vanilla wafers, then add in one sliced banana and cover with 1/3 of pudding. Continue layering ingredients until finished.
7. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.
If you want to skip the trifle and just enjoy the homemade banana pudding recipe you just need to follow steps 1 and 3 above!
What’s the first dessert you learned how to make?
Tuesday 2nd of September 2014
My family would love this! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!
[email protected] Dreaming
Monday 1st of September 2014
Thanks for coming and linking up at #The Weekend Social. Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST on KitchenDreaming.com ! I hope to see you there!
Cindys Recipes and Writings
Saturday 30th of August 2014
Thanks for sharing your delicious dessert at Foodie Friends Friday!
Wednesday 27th of August 2014
This looks delish, Janel! My husband would be in heaven if I made this for him! Thank you bunches for linking up and partying with us!
Wednesday 27th of August 2014
Ah, this looks fantastic! I LOVE banana pudding, and trifles...and pretty much everything about this ^_^ I would love for you to share this post at my Create & Share Link Party! Hope to see you there :) http://designsbymissmandee.blogspot.com/2014/08/create-share-diy-and-recipe-party-20.html