A while back, my husband and I decided that we wanted a headboard for our bed. As I started searching, I soon realized that if I wanted a king sized headboard for our bed, I was going to have to fork out the big bucks; I couldn’t find anything cheaper than $200…plus, they weren’t really my style. Since my husband loves any excuse to use his tools, I suggested that we make our own. I absolutely LOVE how our headboard turned out!
I received Lush Decor’s Chic Modern Comforter Set in exchange for this post. All opinions are my own.
Plus, it looks fantastic behind Lush Decor‘s Modern Chic Comforter Set. Following these simple steps, you’ll love creating this simple $30 rustic headboard; and yes, we really only spent $30 on this headboard.
$30 DIY Headboard
Materials Needed (Keep in mind, these measurements are for a king size bed. Adjust accordingly if crafting for a different size of bed):
- 2.5″ Screws
- Wood Stain (we used walnut)
- 2 x 6 (we used 5; 6’6″ long)
- 2 x 4 (we used 2; 4’6″ long)
1. After gathering your wood, sand the ends of your 2 x 6’s in order to give a nice, smooth appearance.
2. It’s time to stain your 2 x 6’s. Because you can’t see the 2 X 4’s, we chose not to stain them. We let our stain sit for about 10 minutes before blotting up the extra stain and allowing our wood to dry. Although our wood felt dry after a few hours, just to be safe, we decided to let everything dry overnight.
3. Because my husband and I wanted our headboard to have a more rustic feel, we decided to sand the edges of our 2 x 6’s.
4. Now it’s time to connect your (5) 2 x 6’s to your (2) 2 x 4’s. We decided that we wanted just a tad bit of space between each 2 x 6. However, I think the headboard would have looked just as good had we pieced the wood together without any spaces. Turn your 2 x 6’s over and place your 2 x 4’s where you’d like them. Drill 2 evenly spaced holes in each board.
5. Now it’s time to drill your 2.5″ screws into the wood, and that’s it! I’m telling you, this project was SUPER easy and turned out better than I expected. If we wouldn’t have had to wait for the stain to dry, we could have finished the entire project during my son’s afternoon nap!
Check out the finished project! I absolutely ADORE how it turned out. Pairing this headboard with Lush Decor’s Modern Chic 5 Piece Bed Set creates the perfect “shanty chic” feel in our master bedroom. I mean come on, what woman doesn’t love cascading ruffles? Plus, the embroiders throw pillows are absolutely to die for! I couldn’t be happier with how everything turned out!
After creating this simple $30 DIY Headboard, be sure to pair it with Lush Decor’s Modern Chic 5 Piece Comforter Set ($169.99). Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.