- ½ cup soft butter
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 cups Sucanat or Coconut sugar
- 1Tablespoon Vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups shredded Zucchini
- 3 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons Cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Start by creaming together butter and sucanat (sugar) then mix in all the other wet ingredients.
- Add all dry ingredients and stir together.
- Scoop into greased muffin tins. And bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. I usually check them at 18 to make sure I don't over bake them.
- Take out onto cooling rack and then enjoy.
This time, when I went to make my recipe of healthy zucchini bread muffins, I made all small mini muffins and it produced 3 dozen mini’s. These only have to cook at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes instead of the 20 minutes it takes for the full sized muffins.
I make most of my muffins with the freshest product I can get my hands on. When I go the store to get my zucchini, unless I get them from a garden, depending on the season, I look for 2- 1 1/2 inch diameter zucchini This yields me the right amount of squash for this recipe. I usually don’t even measure the outcome, I just shred them and use it, however much it is.
The other products I love to use are fresh ground spelt flour. I have a flour mill, but I do know you can buy it pre-ground also. Then I like to use Sucanat for the sweetener. This is a dehydrated sugar cane juice. It is dark and granular which tends to make everything you use it in a lot darker in color, but it also adds a deep richness to the flavor of what you use it in. This sweetener really enhances the flavor of chocolate. I love this product. For those that are gluten intolerant you can use Coconut sugar and it works just about the same.