I don’t know about you, but as a young mother, traveling with an infant stresses me out beyond belief. Living states away from both sets of grandparents, my kids and I have taken many trips to visit grandma and grandpa. Although traveling with babies can seem overwhelming, I have found a couple of tricks that make infant travels much easier. From a mom who has been there, check out my tips for traveling with a baby.
Tips for Traveling with a Baby
1. Wear your baby: When traveling with a baby, it is essential to have free hands. Wearing your baby allows you the freedom to push a stroller, roll a suitcase, chase after your other kiddos, etc. Plus, keeping your baby close to your body typically keeps them happier.
2. Bring plastic bags: Whether traveling by plane, car, train, or boat, it is essential to bring multiple plastic bags. Plastic bags sure come in handy in the case of carsick kids, wet/messy diapers, accidents, spilled juice, etc.
3. Pack plenty of “extras”: Before you begin your travels, make sure that you pack multiple diapers, wipes, and an outfit change. The last time I took my son on an airplane, he spilled juice all over his clothes. Because I forgot to pack an extra outfit change, he spent the rest of the day in his diaper. Learn from my mistake – be prepared!
4. Keep your baby entertained: Age-appropriate entertainment is key when traveling with a baby. For infants, bring teethers and toys with a variety of tastes and textures. Rotate the toys so your baby doesn’t get tired of the same toy. For toddlers, dig through the bottom of the toy box and choose a couple of “forgotten” toys. Entertainment doesn’t need to cost a lot of money.
5. Bring a play yard: Sleeping away from home, it’s important that your baby has a comfortable place to play and rest. Trust me, a well-rested baby makes or breaks your traveling experience. Using Fisher-Price Ultra-Lite Day & Night Play Yard, your baby will have comfortable lodging wherever your travels take you.
Half of the weight (16 pounds) of other popular play yards, this portable Ultra-Lite Day & Night Play Yard provides a plush and comfortable area perfect for napping, sleeping, and playing.
I absolutely love that I can use this play yard for both my toddler and infant. Using the inclined sleeper, my infant can rest peacefully at a gentle incline. Removing the sleeper, my toddler and infant have a safe, designated area to play. Not to mention, using the portable changing clutch makes diaper changes a breeze. Easily portable with its travel bag, the Ultra-Lite Day & Night Play Yard truly is a dream while traveling on the go.
Thanks to Fisher-Price’s Ultra-Lite Day & Night Play Yard, traveling with a baby has never been easier. Stay tuned for an upcoming post where we will challenge non-parents with “mom” tasks to see just how easily they can be performed. The Ultra-Light Day & Night Play Yard is available for Purchase at Walmart.