This is a sponsored post on behalf of Shell and their Fuel Rewards® Program, in which I was compensated. All opinions are my own.
Gas is one of those necessities of life, right up there beside that weekly gallon of milk, loaf of bread, and pack of diapers. There are simple things you can do to help you save more at the pump and fuel up less often that can make a big impact on your fuel costs.
We are teaming up with Shell this year to show you how you can save money, make the most of your en route time, and enjoy your family more with your extra savings and upcoming travels. Shell and the *Fuel Rewards® program will reward you for your loyalty every time you fill up. All it takes to get started is a 1-minute sign-up process that couldn’t be easier. Here are our simple tricks that will help you save big this summer at the pump.
Simple Tricks to Save More at the Pump
1. Don’t wait until empty – Running on empty leaves you desperate to fill up at the closest location, regardless of fuel prices. I aim to fill up my tank when it gets down to about a quarter of a tank left. That still gives me plenty of time to swing by Shell where I can save more on fuel prices with the Fuel Rewards loyalty program, and not go out of my way to do so.
2. Use Fuel Rewards for extra savings – Sign up for Shell’s loyalty program, Fuel Rewards, to easily lower your fuel price without any extra effort. The Fuel Rewards program normally gives you 3c/gallon savings while filling at participating locations, just for being a member of their free rewards program. But it gets even better than that. Now, through the end of 2017, everyone who signs up for a Fuel Rewards membership will be rewarded with Instant Gold Status! You’ll immediately begin saving 5c/gal each time you fuel up (up to 20 gallons per visit) with the Instant Gold Status introductory offer.
3. Keep your car well maintained – Keeping up on regular maintenance like tire rotations and tire pressure levels along with filter changes and other simple and inexpensive maintenance for your car will easily improve your mpg and keep your car in good condition.
4. Unload unnecessary items – The weight of your car makes a difference in your fuel efficiency. Make it a habit to take out what you bring into the car. Not only will your car be clean and presentable, but your fill-ups will last longer. The same goes for removing racks and towing fixtures that aren’t in use. Even after a fun trip to the pool, unloading all the pool toys, towels, and extras can big just a little extra effort to put everything away right away, instead of letting those extras linger in the car.
5. Plan your route – Take a moment to think about all your planned stops before you head out and determine what order will work best all your stops including time sensitive stops like picking up frozen foods or stop at a location that has specific hours. Aim to be as efficient as possible to save you mileage and fuel use. You can even add a fuel stop along your route to keep you from going out of your way just for a fill-up.
6. Avoid extra trips to the store – Keep a notepad where you can easily jot down your upcoming errands, and group them all into one outing. Multiple trips into town, such as that trip back to the grocery store for that one item you forgot, will easily eat up your fuel. Instead, plan to cross off all your errands in one or two trips per week, and put off additional errands until your next planned trip to save you extra fuel use.
7. Take advantage of additional Fuel Rewards savings – Look into your fuel loyalty program to find out what other offers they may have to net you additional savings at your next fuel up.
Shell is making it easy to rack up savings at the pump with their Fuel Rewards program and the wide variety of ways you can save with everyday purchase you are already making. For example, when you link your debit or credit card you could earn an extra 10c/gal savings for every $50 spent at participating restaurants. Or turn your online shopping with participating retailers into more Fuel Rewards savings.
Look at all the ways you can earn rewards:
With it being right in the middle of our summer break, we’re spending all the time we can at the pool and out to play. We’re having so much fun making memories together as a family. It’s easy for us to fill up with a Shell station just a mile from the pool and along our route home.
I signed up for the Fuel Rewards loyalty program at the start of summer break and now it’s easy to get extra savings every time we stop. To redeem rewards, you just swipe your Fuel Rewards card or enter your phone number right at the pump and the Gold Status savings of 5c/gal are applied automatically.
I love being rewarded, and keeping more in my pocket each time I fuel up, and with Fuel Rewards it’s a no-brainer! Savings should always be this easy. With my Gold Status, my fuel price dropped down to under $2/per gallon! Now there’s something I can get excited about.
Head over to join Fuel Rewards loyalty program by Shell to get the most savings out of your fueling stops this summer, and through the end of the year. There’s no better time to join than now so you can take advantage of their limited-time Instant Gold Status promotion before you hit the road for all your summer vacation and travels. Visit FuelRewards.com to learn more, sign-up, and get your #InstantGold Status!
What tricks do you use to save money at the pumps?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Shell. The opinions and text are all mine.