It is a typical scenario, I go out in search of a dress for a special occasion. I scour every store and mall nearby. I try on dress, after dress, after dress. Each one comes up short. Too short, wrong color, fits weird, low cut, or sleeveless, nothing seems to work to my best assets. Maybe I am too picky, but it seems to me that many women are in the same boat as me! After all of these failed attempts I can share some tips I have learned for finding a dress that works for any occasion.
I was provided samples for this post, all opinions are my own.
- Find a dress that flatters your figure. There are all kids of fittings and quizzes out there to determine your body type. Once you know what your body type is you can go from there.
- Make sure you feel comfortable. Here is my BEST tip, if you find yourself tugging or adjusting it as you stand in front of the mirror trying it on, pulling on the neckline or pulling the hem down, you won’t feel comfortable or confident in it later on. Then you might end up with several dresses hanging in your closet for years with tags still on them. (I have NO idea what that is like.)
- If you are worried about the length at all, do the sit down test. Sit in the fitting room in the dress, still long enough? Green light.
- Keep the event in mind. Remember where you will be wearing it. A cocktail dress may not be appropriate in some settings. Know what you are looking for when you start.
- Keep accessories in mind. Even the most simple dress can be made stunning with the right jewelry or shoes. This is my favorite way to get the most bang for my buck. A simple black sheath can be dressed up or down for any occasion.
I had them add 3/4 sleeves and some length to it to make it fit my personal specifications.
The print is a step outside of my comfort zone, but I love it! It is NOT a maternity dress. I am 20 weeks along with my 3rd baby in these pictures. (Here is a quick phone shot from the other day to get a better look at that bump.)
When I chose this dress I looked for stretchy fabrics and pleats in just the right places. It should work for a few more months, but it will still be perfect after my baby gets here as well. I love the pockets and the small details, plus it is really high quality.
eShakti is the place to go for the perfect holiday dress. No more being stressed about all the details because you can change them however you would like to! They don’t just have dresses either, you can shop for skirts, tops, jackets and more. You have to check them out! I know I will be going back again and again for dresses now that I have found them! Shop with them here, find them on Facebook here, Twitter here, and Pinterest here.