I love spending time outdoors as a family. Gathering everyone together and having a barbecue has created some of my most cherished moments together with my extended family. But having everyone over means needed a place outdoors ready to entertain. As summer starts to approach, it’s time to start thinking about creating the perfect outdoor space.
This is a sponsored post, I am a Sears Blogger Squad blogger, though all opinions are my own.
Sears Outdoor Living has teamed up with celebrity designer Ty Pennington to offer insight and tips to the perfect outdoor oasis! Check out these 7 secrets to start transforming your own backyard into a dream space!
Ty Pennington’s 7 Secrets to
Creating an Outdoor Oasis
1. Build your base, add over time – After envisioning your dream outdoor space, you can purchase an entire patio collection at once or build it over time, depending on your entertaining needs. Fortunately, the Ty Pennington Style Parkside Collection encompasses 20 matching outdoor necessities – from a loveseat and ottoman to a dining table, umbrella and even a resin wicker swing. It allows you to make additions to your set on your own time. The collection is now available in three colors for custom personalization.
Janel’s Tip: Stick with neutral base pieces and add in pops of color through pillows, an outdoor rug, fun backyard lighting or accessories. This lets you change up the colors or add in new colors to complement what you’ve already purchased from year to year.
2. Get to grilling – Whether you’re a novice griller or a seasoned outdoor pro, Sears has the grills to match your space and skillset. With 40,000 BTUs of power, a side burner and two large wheels for easy maneuvering, the Kenmore 4 Burner Gas Grill with stainless steel lid is ideal of the beginning griller. If cooking for a crowd is more your style, consider the Kenmore Elite® 600 Series 4 Burner Gas Grill. With 694 square inches of total cooking area, 64,000 BTUs of power, and a cast iron side burner to cook side dishes and sauces, it’s the ideal grill for the avid entertainer.
Janel’s Tip: Grilling is the centerpiece of our backyard entertaining. Pick a grill that will meet your needs and preferences long term. Do you prefer gas or charcoal? Do you need side burners or more interior space? Picking the right grill will be an investment that will last for years of entertaining to come.
3. Welcome small spaces – Think your condo balcony or ocean-side deck is too small for outdoor entertaining? Think again. For an intimate yet eclectic look and feel, consider the extensive line of bistro and bar sets available at Sears. They are easily customizable and ideal for dining for two.
4. Go green and add some color – Nothing dresses up a patio faster than plants and flowers. Many planters at Sears coordinate with our patio collections. Refresh your patio with colorful rugs, pillows and cushions. In addition, a strategically-placed patio umbrella can do more than just block the sun – it can define your entire outdoor space. After all, summer parties should create a relaxed vibe.
Janel’s Tip: If you have the space to plant, choose colorful flowers and plants that will give life to the patio from spring through fall. Choosing a flowering shrub that will come to life year after year will keep your space vibrant and alive!
5. Make your move, weigh your priorities – Summer is moving season. Whether you’re moving from the city to the suburbs or from a single-family home to a condo in the city, match your outdoor entertaining to the space you have. If moving to a market with extreme climates, invest in durable furniture that can stand up to the environment. Consider patio furniture with a rust-resistant steel frame, UV-resistant fabric and an all-weather resin weave like the La-Z-Boy Charlotte 4 pc. Seating Set available at Sears. This set will accommodate your guests comfortably while upholding inclement weather for years to come.
Janel’s Tip: If your staying put and you know the elements will be hard on your outdoor furniture, consider investing in covers to protect your investment and keep them looking like new. You can use outdoor storage to store away extra pillows and chair cushions through the winter or on full sun days when they may not be in use to prolong their use.
6. Dine with family and friends – Party hosts know the frustration of carrying food back and forth between the kitchen and the backyard. Fortunately, the Kenmore 5-Burner Island Gas Grill with Refrigerator takes elements from the kitchen to the great outdoors. With a side searing burner, a storage cabinet, two storage drawers and a built-in refrigerator, hosts can focus on the food and their guests with fewer trips to the kitchen.
Janel’s Tip: Pick a patio table to making dining outdoors comfortable for your guests. Whether that be a small bistro, a medium sized table, or one large enough for a crowd!
7. Consider your climate – The most popular patio sets on the market are made with either aluminum or steel. Steel is heavier than aluminum but can rust over time. Aluminum is naturally rustproof and generally requires less maintenance. For added protection, make sure your patio set has a heavy duty powder-coated frame if you choose steel.
Sears has everything you will need to create your own outdoor oasis! From patio furniture to planters and loads of accessories you’re certain to find everything you need to head outdoors this summer! Visit Sears.com/outdoorliving to browse their collection of outdoor products to make the most of your space and see more tips on grilling and entertaining!