This week is all about celebrating reading as part of the National Reading Week which coordinates with the birthday of Dr. Seuss on March 2nd. Have you been joining in on the fun? It’s never too late to start and make reading exciting and rewarding for your family and children. In celebration of Dr. Seuss’ birthday this upcoming Saturday, I have created a free printable reading game your family can enjoy!
How to Play Read a Book Bingo
I created Read a Book Bingo to be very flexible and fit a variety of ages and reading levels. You are welcome to adapt the bingo game to fit your own family but here are just a few suggestions.
- Select an appropriate value that each square on the bingo sheet will be worth. You can make these reading levels such as listen to one story being read, read a book, finish a chapter, read 10 pages, or whatever works best for your individual reader.
- Set a goal for your bingo sheet. You might start by challenging your reader to get one bingo, complete a pattern like a checkerboard or writing their first initial, or go for a whole blackout.
- Offer an incentive! If your child struggles to enjoy reading, you can set a reward for completing their reading goal. It can be something simple like a “Skip a Chore” coupon, a new book, a piece of candy, or whatever else might work really well for your child.
- Set a time frame. If your child already has reading goals for school, you can line up their goals with the chart by giving them specific time lines such as finish your bingo chart in a week or a month if they need that extra bit of motivation. You likely don’t need both the incentive and the time frame, so pick what works best for your child.
- Display their progress! Hang up the chart somewhere that everyone can see your child’s accomplishment. Hang it from your fridge or maybe their bedroom door and show your child how proud you are of them.
How to Download this Dr. Seuss Free Printable
Simply right click the image below and you can save the picture to your computer. Or, click on the link below the picture to view the pdf version in a ready to print format! You can print it or download the file and save it for another day.
And for just a little bit more Dr. Seuss fun, here’s a great quote from one of his books that I’ve also included on the printable bingo sheet.
“The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
Quote by Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
What have you been doing this week to enjoy and celebrating reading together with your family?