Winter is still here and along with it lots of cold and flu bugs are still being passed around. Earlier this month, my son’s Kindergarten class had 1/3 of his classmates absent one day and just about everyone in the class missed at least one day over that two week period. My son had a few sick days from school, too. It can be really hard when your child is exposed to so many different kids while at school and germs can spread pretty quickly. We’ve become nearly professionals at finding relief for cold and flu symptoms this school year. We were warned that our son would likely get sick with cold and flu bugs about once a month when he started school. He has, in fact, come down with one type of bug or another just about once a month.
Relief Tips to Soothe Cold and Flu Symptoms
There are a few things I always rely on when I get sick. Some to help lessen the symptoms and others to just help me relax and recouperate. Here are my favorite ways to help find relief for your own cold and flu symptoms.
- Stock up on supplies before you get sick – There is nothing worse than being sick or having a house full of sick children and not having the things on hand that you need. We like to keep our medicine cabinet stocked with a variety of medicines that we know we might need including something for a flu, cold, cough, earaches, upset stomach and others common ailments. We also keep a supply of Kleenex, chapstick, q-tips and other practical supplies on hand.
- Get lots of rest – If you notice in my picture above, my supplies basket is tucked into bed because there is nothing more important, in my opinion, than making sure you get LOTS of extra rest. Even if you can’t sleep because you need to work or tend to children taking it easy can really help you too.
- Eat light foods – We keep our pantry stocked as well with foods that are light and easy on your stomach such as canned soup, crackers, popsicles, and vitamin packed drinks. My kids almost think it is fun to get sick since they know they will be able to have a popsicle!
- Relax in the Tub – I absolutely love relaxing in the bathtub so for me this is always one of the first things I turn to when I’m sick. It just gives me a moment of relief and eases any aches or pains, too.
- Vitamin C – Taking a Vitamin C supplement or eating foods high in Vitamin C can help you keep from catching the cold and flu bugs. If you know something is going around where you live, you can grab a jug of Orange Juice or take a Vitamin C supplement to help you be able to avoid actually catching the bug when it comes your way. My kids love the chewable Vitamin C tablets that give one easy way to add in this important vitamin.
This cold and flu season, make the care complete with Kleenex® brand, and together we’ll turn a seemingly small gesture into something bigger, to make everyone feel better.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Kleenex via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Kleenex