This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Visit Gulf County. All opinions are 100% mine.
Planning a family vacation can be fun, but can also be frustrating. It’s hard to find activities that are great for the whole family – that will keep mom and dad thrilled to participate, too.
The best family vacation we’ve ever taken, was to sunny Florida! The weather was great, we planned time for relaxing and fun, and we could spend lots of time outdoors on the beach and playing which made for a wonderful trip.
We are already dreaming of when we can go back, and next time we’re looking at Gulf County, Florida, as a perfect place to travel as a family. Here’s 5 adventures topping the bucket list for a Gulf County, Florida family vacation.
5 Family Adventures in Gulf County
1. Turtle Treasure Hunt – Perfect for a family, the turtle treasure hunt excursions only take about 4 people out at a time (max of 10 people, if you need a few more spots to accommodate your family). With the group being as small as your own family and your guide, you’ll get a hands on experience looking for signs of turtles – where they crawl, signs of hatching, and even pointing out nests when you find them. It’s educational, but also a fun adventure unlike anything you’ve done on a vacation before. Your crew can get involved helping to mark, measure, record, and point out what you see along the trek.
2. Fishing for Sharks – The whole family will be thrilled, and exhilarated, as they fish for (and maybe catch!) a real shark! You set out on a 3-hour fishing trip as a family – long enough to feel the excitement of fishing, but the trip doesn’t take up the whole day or wear down younger children. You can expect no more than about 25 people on board the 60-foot boat and the whole experience is safe and great for kids.
3. Go for a Scenic Sunset Drive – Load up the family into the car for a calm, relaxing drive with beautiful views out to Cape San Blas. We love taking a scenic drive on a Sunday late afternoon for a low-key day without all the running around of visiting attractions. It gives families the opportunity to talk, connect, and reminisce on all the memories already created.
4. Ocean Show & Tell – Take off to explore St. Joseph Bay which has crystal clear water where you can easily see 15-ft down to the grass, shore, and creatures that abound in the bay. The 15 mile long stretch is very shallow and lets you snorkel or wade in the bay looking for sea life to share with your group. The bay is home to sting rays, tarpon, seahorses, Bay scallops, octopus, starfish, shells, and much more.
5. Shop & Dine at Port St. Joe – Let the kids help pick out a souvenir and explore the gift shops along Port St. Joe. After exploring the different shop, stop in a seafood restaurant and have the chefs cook up your own catch of the day – from fish to scallops! The kids will love seeing their hard work turn into a meal professionally prepared to perfection. There are also frequent events including the SaltAir Farmers’ Market and Scallop Festival for even more fun.