This post is sponsored by Similac. All opinions are my own. See below for additional disclosure.
Just about five years ago I found myself in a new state with a new baby. My husband had recently started Physician Assistant school and I was home alone, hundreds of miles from any close family members. Although this situation was pretty tough for me, it forced me out of my comfort zone. I realized that in order to stay sane, I needed to create a new support system; I needed mom friends. Interacting with fellow moms in the neighborhood and at church, I quickly realized the importance of friends. In the five years since this experience, I’ve learned to rely heavily on my mom friends – they are like family; the support system that keeps me going and gives me daily strength. These are just a few reasons why I simply couldn’t live without my mom friends.
6 Reasons Why Every Mom Needs Mom Friends
1. They always know what to say. Shortly after my second miscarriage, I heard a knock at my door. My friend stood on my doorstep with dinner in her arms and tears in her eyes. She told me that she didn’t have the right words, but she was sorry and she loved me. Our small conversation turned out to be exactly what I needed to hear at the very second I needed to hear it.
2. They keep you sane. I feel so blessed that I have the opportunity to be a stay-at-home mom. However, not going to lie, some days drag on. As much as I love talking to my kids, I crave adult conversation. That’s where good friends come in! It doesn’t matter if it’s a phone conversation, play date, or girl’s night out, a good conversation with a good friend can turn my entire day around and give me just the boost and strength I need.
3. They totally get you. Just last night I was sitting on my couch after a long and stressful day. My husband was working the night shift and I was totally craving a delicious treat. Right then, my good friend texted me saying she was on her way to get some soda and sugar cookies and wondered what I wanted. Talk about the perfect little pick-me-up after a whirlwind of a day.
4. Free Babysitters. Mom friends totally understand the need for date nights! Wanting to save a little extra money, a couple of friends and I like to switch off babysitting nights every month. It’s the perfect guilt-free way for my husband and I to spend some much needed time together. Plus, knowing that a fellow mom is watching over my kids helps me to worry less while I’m gone.
5. They keep your kids entertained. Finding mom friends that have similar aged kids is truly a lifesaver. At least one a week, my friends and I love getting together so we can have adult conversation while our kids keep each other entertained. It helps pass the time, keeps my kids out of trouble, and allows their imaginations to soar. My kids truly look at their friends as brothers and sisters.
6. They give you strength. Mommy friends have been there. They know exactly what you’re going through. They give sound advice, but still know when you just need a friend to listen. They love your kids like their own and are always willing to lend a hand. This support system is vital for moms. Mom friends seriously rock!
Whether you find your support system within your family, from your spouse, or mom friends, every mom deserves a great support system. Understanding the need for strength and support in our daily lives, Similac’s StrongMoms program is a great resource for all moms. By signing up for Similac’s StrongMoms program, you will be sent awesome e-mails with tips for your baby’s growth and development, as well as the potential to earn up to $400 in rewards!
Because I have been so blessed with incredible mommy friends in my life, it has made me realize the importance of being that friend to someone else. Never underestimate the impact your kindness and support can have on the life of a fellow mom. Be that friend, show love and acceptance to women all around you; build others up and lend a hand during times of need. After-all, we’re all just moms doing our best to raise our children to reach their full potentials.
Have you experienced such support? We’d love to hear your story of strength by using #SisterhoodUnite.
As a parent, where do you turn for strength and support?
Similac partnered with influencers such as me to promote Its Pro-Advance and Pro-Sensitive products. As part of this Program, I received compensation for my time. Similac believes that consumers and influencers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. Similac policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.