This post is sponsored by Tide PODS plus Downy, available at Walmart. All opinions are my own.
Did you know that the average American throws away about 65 pounds of clothing per year? That’s a staggering number! Today, we’re sharing tips to help you refresh your wardrobe and make the most of your laundry pile by taking the very best care of your clothes that you can. The way you launder your clothes can make a big difference in protecting their fabrics and keeping your clothes in great condition.
Tide wants to help you keep on top of your laundry care and teach you a new school way to do laundry. Read on to learn more about the upcoming event and 10 simple tips to refresh your laundry for spring.
Tips to Refresh Your Laundry for Spring
1. Update Your Laundry Routine – Your laundry routine has never been easier than it can be today, with all the innovative products that make laundry a cinch. Tide PODS make laundry as easy as tossing in a detergent pac directly into the drum – no measuring, scooping, or mess – for a perfect amount of laundry detergent each wash. Choose these 3 products for a perfect trio that will make the most of your laundry routine:
– Tide PODS plus Downy – Add a single pac into the washer drum before you add your clothes for a more even distribution of the detergent during the wash cycle.
– Scent Boosting Beads – Toss in a half or full cap with your detergent pac for an enhanced scent that can last for days or even up to weeks at a time! Scent boosters can also help neutralize odors.
– Downy Dryer sheets – Take control of static, prevent wrinkles, and keep your clothes fresh. Just add one to each dryer load, or two for an extra-large load.
2. Check Sizes and Styles – Go through your closets to clear out clothes you won’t need for the upcoming Spring and Summer weather. It’s the perfect time to stash away heavy jackets, scarves, and winter gear to make room for sun dresses, hats, and shorts. Pack up the clothing you won’t need for the next 6 months and store it away to make the most of your closet space.
Take the opportunity to also check clothing sizes and donate those jeans that are fitting a little too tight or that sweater that always wore too big. Spring is the perfect time to transition your children’s clothes too with their often-changing sizes. By keeping around just the clothes you’ll fit into, you’ll save yourself time getting ready in the morning and your closet will stay clean and organized without all the extras around filling up your limited space.
3. Clean Your Machine – Your washing machine needs cleaning, just like everything else in your home. Washing your machine can help avoid odors that can build up on your clothing. Plan to wash your machine every 6 months, or each Spring and Fall.
– Washing machine full of hot water
– 3 cups white vinegar
– ½ cup baking soda
– Spray bottle
– Let your washer sit for 30 minutes.
– Run the washer through a normal wash cycle.
– Use white vinegar in a spray bottle to clean the drum and all the seals.
4. Avoid Damaging Your Clothes – There are a couple of simple things you can do to help protect your clothes in the wash. Pay attention to zippers and Velcro before you toss them in the wash. Make it a habit to zip your zippers and secure any Velcro and before you toss them into the laundry hamper so they are ready to go for wash day. You’ll also want to be sure you sort out your gym clothes for a separate wash load. Clothing made from lycra or spandex should be washed separate from other fabrics to avoid breaking down their antimicrobial and moisture-wicking qualities.
5. Rethink Your Organization – If you fold your clothing, stack vertically in a drawer or bin to let you quickly see all your tops or bottoms without having to disrupt the whole pile to pick out your favorite. If you use hanging rods and shelves, hang your shirts on the bottom rods and place your shoes on shelves within easy reach. This way, you won’t need to bend over to reach shoes and your hanging shirts can all be easily seen on the lower hanging rod.
6. Safety Matters – An important part of safety around your home is keeping your laundry products up high and out of reach of young children and pets. Laundry detergents and products can be harmful if ingested.
Products can look fun and appealing to little children and pets and can pose a risk if you don’t take precautions to keep them safe. You should also always store your laundry products in their original packaging.
They’re designed with safety mechanisms that make them harder for young children to access, and they have important information on the labels that poison control may need if an accident should happen.
7. Deep Wash – Give your laundry an extra wash boost by choosing a longer wash cycle. Most everyday loads only need one POD, but you can add in a second Tide PODS plus Downy detergent pac for a particularly dirty load or for an extra deep clean.
8. Check Your Socks – Keep a bucket in your laundry room to stash your lost assortment of socks. Keeping them all contained in one central spot will make it easier to find your missing pairs, which will often show up a wash load or two later. At the beginning of spring, toss all the mismatched socks that never found their match and any socks with holes.
9. Treat Stains Immediately – Taking a moment to target stains as they happen means you won’t forget when it’s washing day! When you get a splash of something onto your top, just treat it at the end of the day and toss it right into your hamper or into the washing machine and it will be ready for your next load.
10. Save Time Ironing – You can quickly fix wrinkles as you get ready in the morning. Just hang your clothing near a hot shower and the steam will naturally help smooth out the wrinkles. Another option is tossing your wrinkled clothes into a dryer with a Downy dryer sheet and a wet sock. You’ll only need a few minutes to remove the wrinkles and your clothing will have a boost of fresh scent and be static free!
I had the opportunity to share tips and the New School Laundry event on Arizona Midday, check out my segment!
The New School Laundry Products
Tide PODS plus Downy offer all the latest in cleaning with a highly concentrated 4-in-1 pac that brings detergent, stain remover, brightener, and Downy Fabric Protect technology to your wash in one quick – mess free – step.
The PODS are small and easy to add to your wash, but are a game changer in the laundry aisle. One will clean as well as six doses of the leading bargain brand liquid detergent. Each POD is designed with multiple chambers to keep each important ingredient separate to be as effective in the wash as possible.
Tide PODS are safe for all machines, so you won’t have to worry about damaging or creating a buildup in your high efficiency washing machine. They’re even effective and will dissolve in any water temperature, allowing you to choose cold water settings to save money and extend the life of your clothes.
If you love the smell of a fresh and clean load of laundry, you’ll love adding scent boosting beads. They work alongside your detergent to neutralize odors and give a big boost of scent. You’ll add the beads to your washing machine drum with your detergent pac before adding your clothes.
Bounce dryer sheets help finish off your laundry routine by controlling static, preventing wrinkles, and softening your clothes. They are as easy as tossing in a dryer sheet in with each load you dry.
When you use all three of these products together, you’ll have a perfect new school laundry routine that will help your clothes stay fresh, clean, and smelling fantastic!
Don’t forget to head into your local Walmart this weekend to score free samples and try a new update to your old laundry routine. You can learn more about all the gren new school laundry products at Walmart or online at walmart.com/newschoollaundry.
What are your tricks to make cleaning your laundry easier?