Last year, my husband was assigned to do his PA clinical rotations out of state. This meant packing up and leaving our home for a 3 month period of time. Although we live in a relatively safe neighborhood, while we were away, I had A LOT of anxiety concerning the safety of our home and belongings. However, after doing a little research, I found many simple ways to protect our home. Whether or not you’re headed out of town, these simple home protection tips will help keep your family safe while providing homeowners peace of mind.
I received compensation in exchange for this post. All opinions are my own.
10 Simple Ways to Protect your Home
1. Get a dog – A dog’s bark is a great deterrent for unwanted visitors. Something as simple as a dog’s bark can scare burglars away while alerting home owners to possible danger.
2. Don’t leave mail/flyers on the door – Burglars pay attention to things such as mail piling up on your doorstep or in your mailbox. Be sure to check your mailbox and remove doorstep fliers on a daily basis. If you’re headed out of town, ask a neighbor to bring in your mail. You can also put your mail and packages on hold at the post office and pick them up once you return from vacation.
3. Don’t leave garbage can at curb – Be sure to take your garbage can out and put it away on garbage day. If you’re headed out of town, don’t leave your garbage can at the curb all week; criminals keep things like this in mind. Ask a neighbor to take your garbage can back in after the trash is picked up.
4. Leave your porch light on – Turn your porch light on at night. If you are heading out of town, put your lights on a timer of ask a neighbor to come and randomly turn on/off lights in your home while you’re away.
5. Close your curtains – If you keep your curtains closed while you’re away, it will make it hard for anyone to tell whether or not the home is vacant.
6. Bar windows/doors – For added security, keep your sliding doors/windows safe by placing a stick or wooden dowel in the door/window track.
7. Store valuables in a safe – Keep all valuable (important documents, cash, expensive jewelry) in a safe.
8. Keep your lawn well kept – Make it appear as if someone is actually living in your home. Keep your lawn mowed, weeds pulled, bushes trimmed, etc.
9. Keep your doors locked – Whether you’re at home or away, keep your doors locked. Remember to lock your back door as well as garage door.
10. Use a camera – Keep an eye on the things that matter most by installing a camera in your home. Thankfully, the link-U Hybrid Connection SmartCam by Link-Union, allows you to access your camera via smart phone or tablet no matter the circumstances.
link-U, the first Hybrid Connection Smartcam, is more than just your average video monitor. With features like an 8 hour battery, live interaction, remote monitoring, SD storage, alert message system, you can monitor your home, children, and pets with ease. Power outage or internet issues? This is no problem for link-U; link-U automatically switches to 3G/4G to keep you connected. As if this smartcam couldn’t get any better, the set-up is quite simple; link-U is ready right out of the box. No drills, money, contract, or bandwidth needed for set-up.
Keeping your home safe has never been easier thanks to the link-U Hybrid Connection SmartCam. Be sure to pre-order your link-U Hybrid Connection SmartCam on Indiegogo for only $149.