Updated on October 6th, 2014
When outside during summer months, it is important to protect yourself from the sun, dehydration, and heat stroke. By following these 5 simple pointers, you can enjoy the warm weather without sacrificing your health.
1. Sun rays are most intense from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm; make sure to limit sun exposure (or use extra sunscreen) during this time period.
2. Adults should wear 15 SPF sunscreen (or higher). Children should wear (at least) 30 SPF sunscreen.
3. Before going in the sun, apply sunscreen. While in the sun, make sure to reapply sunscreen at least every 2 hours.
4. Many people don’t know, but Ibuprofen works wonders when dealing with painful sunburns. If you happen to get a painful sunburn, because Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory drug, it helps take the pain away.
5. Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink water; this is a sign that your body is already becoming dehydrated. The Mayo Clinic recommends that average males drink 3 liters (of total beverages) daily; women should drink 2.2 liters of fluid a day.
Following these five simple pointers, my family and I headed to Big Surf Water Park to enjoy a day in the sun. We made sure to drink plenty of water and wear extra sunscreen while playing in Phoenix, AZ’s 110 degree weather. To say the least, Big Surf’s water felt HEAVENLY! The water’s comfortable temperature helped my husband, son, and I enjoy our Big Surf experience.
Home to the third largest wave pool, Big Surf allows surfers (during designated times), boogie boarders, and swimmers to catch a wave every 3 minutes. When not swimming in Waikiki Beach’s 2.5 million gallon wave pool, Big Surf guests enjoy sliding down all 16 water slides. There are slides perfect for tubes, single riders, children, and daredevils. Your kiddos will also enjoy many water activities; splashing in Captain Cook’s splash pad, swimming in 2 ft. water, and going down miniature slides at Bora Bora Bay. Big Surf caters to all ages; from young child to adult, there are attractions for everyone.
Last Saturday, my family met up with some friends at Big Surf; we had 4 adults, a 3 year old, 1.5 year old, and a 9 month old. It was fun to see all of the different activities each age group enjoyed. The 3 year old loved swimming in the shallow water at Bora Bora Bay. Swimming in the shaded area helped protect his skin from the sun. The 18 month old enjoyed sliding down the colorful Otter Slides. She was so proud to slide down all by herself! My 9 month old little guy LOVED splashing in the splash pad; He loved touching all of the soft water animals floating around the pool. The wave pool was a HUGE hit; My husband rented a raft and spent a good portion of the day riding the waves to “shore”.
The adults took turns riding down various water slides full of unexpected twists and turns. The Tornado Twisters and Hurricane Slides were mentioned among the “favorites”. Talking with my friends who have been to various water parks in the Phoenix area, they reported Big Surf their favorite; they felt that it wasn’t overly crowded and offered many attractions for adults and children. As a mother, I greatly appreciated the many shaded areas offered in the pool and grass. The day was a scorcher, but the water filled sidewalks helped keep my feet nice and cool. Our day of fun at Big Surf exceeded our expectations!
From young to old, Big Surf caters to all ages. My family had such a wonderful time and can’t wait to return! Escape the Arizona heat and enjoy a day of fun at Big Surf Water Park.
To make Big Surf ($27.95) part of your summer activities, check out their website at www.bigsurffun.com. Visit www.bigsurffun.com and enter the Promo Code momstake to receive 20% off your Big Surf tickets!
I received product samples and/or compensation in exchange for this post. The opinions expressed above are my own. Any claims should be verified on the sponsor’s site.