There’s nothing quite like Grandma’s cookin’. As a little girl, I remember devouring many delicious meals prepared my Grandma B; one of my favorite meals to this day is Grandma B’s mashed potatoes and Ham Country Gravy. Passed down through the generations, I’ve decided to share this scrumptious gravy recipe from my Grandma’s kitchen. Hope you enjoy!
Ham Country Gravy
- ½ c Margarine or Butter
- ½ c Flour
- 1 t Salt and a sprinkle of pepper
- 4 c Milk
- ¼ lb Ham
- Melt butter (or margarine) in a saucepan.
- Add flour, salt, and pepper. Mix this well.
- Add milk stirring constantly. (I prefer to use a whisk and stir in a figure 8)
- Continue to stir until desired thickness. (Be careful not to overcook)
- Add in ham.
I always prefer serving this gravy over garlic mashed potatoes made from red potatoes. To make these garlic mashed potatoes, I dice and boil red potatoes (including skin). Once potatoes are soft, I use a masher and mash the potatoes. I add a little milk, a lot of salt and pepper, and garlic powder until desired taste is obtained. Pretty simple and absolutely delicious.
The cool thing about this recipe is that you can use this gravy for so many different recipes! Instead of adding ham and using it as Ham Country Gravy, here is a list of other yummy options for this gravy:
- Add diced hard boiled eggs to sauce for creamed eggs over toast.
- Add canned or left over chicken pieces for creamed chicken over rice.
- Add tuna for creamed tuna on toast (you could also experiment with other sea food for that matter).
- Add cheddar cheese for a creamy cheese sauce.
Have fun cooking and experimenting with this delicious recipe from Grandma B’s kitchen.