One thing that I do at our house, is pack up the holiday books with the holiday decorations. I debated for a long time about leaving them out on the shelf all year, or making them special for the holidays. I don’t have anything against kids reading holiday books or watching holiday movies year round. Having been a school teacher though, we are not having a book shortage at our house, so I like to keep the holiday ones special.
My little guy ran straight to our book basket when I got our the Halloween stuff out to find the new holiday stories and we have been reading them everyday for over a week now! They all have fantastic illustrations and fun story lines. Many of them use repetitive text, which is great for early readers. Reading with your kids at any age is so important, its fun to have special holiday books to get them excited and something to look forward to each year!
Here are our favorite Halloween books:
- Inside A House That Was Haunted By Allyssa Satin Capucilli
- Cinderella Skeleton By Robert D. San Souci and David Catrow
- Even Monsters Need Haircuts By Matthew McElligott
- There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bat By Lucille Colandro
- The Haunted Ghoul Bus By Lisa Trumbauer
- Happy Halloween, Little Critter By Mercer Mayer
- Room On The Broom By Julia Donaldson
- Scaredy Squirrel Prepares For Halloween By Melanie Watt
- The Widows Broom By Chris Val Allsburg
- Vunce Upon A Time By J.otto Seibold
I love to keep some of my Halloween books in the basket for the kiddos, and then use some on my mantel as part of my decor. Halloween books are some of my favorites to display because they have such fun and bright illustrations.
Do you like to use books in your decor? What are your favorite Halloween children’s books?
Wednesday 25th of June 2014
So many wonderful Halloween stories. Frankenstein by Ludworst Bemonster is a good one that my kids enjoy. Its a spin on the Madeline book series but for Halloween. Also Hallo-wiener by Dav Pilkey is a hilarious story and a family favorite as well!
Room On The Broom Review and Giveaway - A Mom's Take
Saturday 12th of October 2013
[…] this post about my favorite Halloween books? I was introduced to Room On The Broom by Julia Donaldson when I […]