Updated on October 19th, 2015
Every Mother’s day, I seriously ask for something sweet! It’s that major sweet tooth that gets to me. Forget traditional flowers, give mama something she can eat! So I decided to teach my boys exactly why type of gift I like, by having them help me make a cute and easy cookie platter mother’s day gift!
- Sugar cookie dough
- Food color, if needed
- Candies like M&M’s or Skittles
- Sandwich sized ziploc bag
- Cookie cutter
We went for super, duper easy with premade cookie dough, but you can customize this gift by making cookies or the frosting from scratch. With premade cookie dough, just thinly slice the dough into round and then let your children help by using a cookie cutter to make a fun shape. We used a flower cookie cutter from a set we had that let us pick just the right size for the dough.
You can save aside the extra dough and press it together to make extra cookies, so don’t worry about any waste. Be careful not to over mess with the dough, though, or it won’t cook up as good as the dough will be tough. Cook the cookies following the package directions and allow them to cool completely.
Once your cookies are cool, add frosting (dyed with food coloring if needed) to a sandwich sized ziploc bag. Cut off the tip of the bag to make a pipping bag and gently press at the back of the frosting to pip frosting out your cut tip and decorate your cookies. I outlined the flowers and then wrote a “I <3 U” on three of the cookies and pressed sprinkles onto the frosting for decoration.
Add an M&M or skittle to the center of your other flowers to give them a finished look. Now, add a piece of tissue paper to a platter and arrange your cookies and deliver this fun and tasty gift to mom that shows her you know what she likes, appreciate her, and love her! You can of course deliver your flower cookies with real flowers, too, if desired.
What do you usually give as a Mother’s day gift?
For more easy gift ideas, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- DIY Lavender Facial by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- DIY Mother’s Day Herb Garden Gift by Mom Does It All
- DIY Vanity Tray by Style on Main
- Homemade Painted Glass Bottle by Our Family World
- Thanks a Latte Teacher Gift by Simply Southern Mom
- DIY Shea Butter Lotion Bars by Better in Bulk
- DIY Mother’s Day Coupon Book for Twin Moms by Mom on the Side
- DIY Butterfly Wall Hanging by Home and Garden Cafe
- Party Worthy Spinach Salad with Strawberries by Day by Day in Our World
- DIY Aromatherapy Shower Fizzies by My So Called Balanced Life
- Easy DIY Photo Coasters & a Delicious Mocktail to Spoil Mom by Two Boys One Girl One Crazy Mom
- Add Some Style to Your Sunglasses by How Was Your Day
- DIY Kitchen Herb Garden Gift by About a Mom
- Pasta Picture Frame by Upstate Ramblings
- Easy Marquee Letter Craft by Momma D Jane’s Blog
- School’s Out for Summer Gift by The Guavalicious Life