When you become a mom, your needs quickly take the backseat as you devout so much of your time and energy each day on caring for your family. After my last baby, who is almost two, my pregnancy weight wasn’t coming off like it had in my 20’s. I started to realize I wasn’t making the right diet, nutrition, and exercise choices. Instead, I was hustling through the day taking care of my kids needs and the home responsibilities, and putting myself last. I’ve taken the time to refocus in the past couple of months and make my health a priority again, and there are a few things I have found that have helped.
Sam’s Club provided me with a gift card for my time;
however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
5 Easy Ways to Make Your Health a Priority
1. Plan Your Meals – Taking the time to plan out your meals, including all three main meals of the day and any snacks and treats, can make a big difference for your health. Then, when you get hungry, you can turn to your list and have a plan ready to help you keep your calorie count on target for the day. Instead of turning to snack foods, you can grab a healthy snack.
I love meal planning, because it saves you money as you’ll stick to the foods you’ll actually consume during the week to avoid waste and saves tons of time and stress trying to figure out what to make for dinner each evening. Plus, it keeps me from binge snacking throughout the day.
I can find everything I need for a balanced breakfast at Sam’s Club. Like this so easy, and healthy, breakfast. Toast half of an english muffin, lightly butter and top with a couple of slices of turkey lunch meat and a slice of cheese. Serve with fresh fruit, like a half of a banana and a couple of strawberries.
2. Use an Activity Tracker – An activity tracker can help motivate you to get up, and get moving. So often in today’s world we’re stuck at a desk, or a couch, spending our day sitting rather than up moving about. Even if you have a job that has you up on your feet, an activity tracker can help you set goals and naturally work exercise into your everyday life. Some activity trackers can also monitor your overall health indicators such as sleep patterns or calorie tracking.
Sam’s Club has all the top activity trackers in club and on their website. Wearing an activity tracker is such a visual reminder (and can even be a silent vibration reminder) to stay on track with your health goals and can help in tracking, planning, and meeting your goals.
I have previously used a first generation Fitbit, but the screen had stopped responding. It gave me the perfect excuse to update my technology and refresh my health goals! I decided on the Fitbit Alta bundle, but there were several options to pick from at my local Sam’s Club.
3. Challenge a Friend – A little competition can go a long way in keeping you motivated and help you stick to your goals. Grab a good friend and share your health goals with each other so you become accountable for sticking to them. Then, set up a reward for when you’ve reached your goals – like a fun girls night out to the movies if you each exercise at least 3 times a week for the next month. The goal shouldn’t too difficult that you’ll give up easily, but should be something you can work at.
4. Take a Daily Multivitamin – Food alone isn’t providing all the nutrients we need each day for our overall well being, for most people. Up to 90% of American’s are falling short in getting the daily nutrients we need. It’s such an easy addition to your day, and a good daily multivitamin can help support bone, heart, and joint health as well as support healthy skin and the conversion of your food into fuel.
The daily multivitamin is also a great reminder to fill up your water bottle and start drinking lots and lots of water which makes a big difference in your overall well being.
5. Take Care of Your Preventative Health – A recent survey found that 83% of women say they would rather do all of their family’s grocery shopping than go to the doctor. I can totally relate. It can be hard to make an appointment with your little ones at home. But being proactive about your health will help you catch possible problems or concerns early.
Sam’s Club is helping moms take care of their health with a free in-club health screening. You can do your shopping, swing by and get a health screening, and recommit to making sure your needs are met, too.
Head into your local Sam’s Club this Saturday, October 8th, from 11am – 4pm, to take advantage of the free health screening. The screening will include tests for:
- Total cholesterol
- HDL (goodo cholesterol)
- Blood p
- Body fat percentage
- Vision (not available at all locations)
- Hearing (not available at all locations)
Encourage the women in your life to take care of their health with this important first step that can give an overall picture of your health and what goals you can make to get started taking care of yourself.
To find a Sam’s Club near you, head over to the Sam’s Club locator and make a plan to head into your local store this Saturday! The free health screenings are available at all locations with a pharmacy.
What simple steps do you take to make your health care a priority?
Does this post resonate with you? Share it on social!