Are your closets overstuffed and your garage spilling over at the seams? It’s time for some spring cleaning and a huge way to help manage your household is storing items that you’re not using to help give you space to live. When you can tuck away your excess you’ll instantly have more square foot in your home – no remodeling required. Embrace a storage solution that will tuck away the things you need or want, but aren’t using at the moment. Here are 10 things you should store when not in use.
This post is sponsored by Closetbox.
10 Things to Store When Not in Use
1. Kids Clothes – If you have more than one child and want to save their clothes to pass down to the younger sibling, stash them in clear plastic totes and include a piece of paper to label the size and it will be ready for you whenever you need it.
2. Holiday Decorations – Stash away your Fall, Halloween, and Christmas decorations when not in use. That big pile of priceless ornaments and stockings will be ready for you as fall rolls around and you can rotate through the decorations as easily as swapping out your stored totes.
3. Lawn Care – Through Winter, stash away your extra lawn care equipment – shovels, rakes, clippers, even your lawn mower! These items can take up a lot of precious garage space, even when they’re not being used!
4. Seasonal Clothes – Store bulky winter jackets, snow clothes and boots, scarves and gloves, and all the other winter gear until Fall. Then, switch and in their place pack up all your shorts, swimsuits, and tank tops until Spring rolls around again.
5. Memorabilia – Your kids artwork, family heirlooms, yearbooks, journals, sports trophies or other memorabilia items that you don’t dare part with but don’t need on a daily basis are perfect to stash away in storage until you’re ready for them.
6. Furniture – Make a plan to store furniture that’s not in use. You can store away bedroom sets, couches, bookshelves, and tables – anything that you’re not using that’s just taking up space – but that you’ll need in the near future. It’s a great option to help stage your home while you place it for sale or to store older furniture for your grown child to take off to college.
7. Baby Gear – A tiny new baby comes with more gear than you can possibly imagine – strollers, bouncers, swings, pack ‘n plays, jumperoos, and so many toys! They can take up so much valuable space in your home, and will be constantly in the way, but are perfect candidates for storing until your next bundle of joy comes along. These pricey items are expensive to replace but are priceless with a new baby around.
8. Important Paperwork – Keep those file folders stuffed full of your annual tax documentation safely stored, but out of the way. Since you’ll need to keep 10 years of documents, but likely will never access them, you can store them until you have a need to reference those important papers. You can store all your financial documents, house paperwork, business files, and other important papers you don’t need on a monthly basis.
9. Camping Supplies – Stash your camping gear until the beginning of summer when it will finally be time to use it again. Your tent, sleeping bags, cots, coolers, and all the other accessories that go along with a camping trip can take up valuable space 9 months of the year!
10. Sports Equipment – Your scuba gear, bikes, tennis rackets, and snowboarding equipment – or whatever sports you are into – can all be tucked away while not being used. They take up a lot of space and are often neglected other than a few times during the year. The excitement of getting them back will give you more use out of your items, while keeping them safely stored and out of the way when you aren’t using them.
Storing is Easier with Closetbox
The biggest hurdle with traditional storage options is the inconvenience and hassle to access what you’ve stored. Closetbox has revolutionized the way we think about and utilize storage!
With Closetbox, you prepare your items for storage and make a reservation online. Then, they’ll do all the hard work – professional movers will come to your home to pick up your storage items and transport them with care to a temperature-controlled storage unit. You’ll have your own secured storage vault with access to your items at any time.
When you need something, just browse through your storage inventory and select what you need. The Closetbox service includes the return any of your stored items back to your home when needed. You can also access your storage unit to retrieve your items yourself, should you need to.
Sign up with a 12-month Closetbox storage term and you won’t have any additional fees for pickup or delivery. You can get started with a 3-month commitment to give Closetbox a try! You can get a free estimate of the storage rates in your area on their homepage to give you an idea of just how affordable Closetbox is.
What is something you could store today that you’re not using?