It’s frightening when I look at my kids and realize, that the way they grow up and the state of the next generation, is somewhat reliant on how I’m raising them. I have been entrusted with these kids. I’m going to try my best to raise a generation of leaders and people with morals who love themselves and others around them.
I think that being confident and loving yourself has a lot to do with how you treat the others around you and your ability to lead. My mom did this activity with my kids once when they were little and I thought it was such a good idea to help my kids realize their talents and strengths. We all have unique gifts to bring to the table and I feel as a parent, I need to help my kids realize theirs.
- Letter Stickers
- Paint (I recommend paint that matches where it will be hanging)
1. Have the kids think of positive words that describe them or things that they are good at doing. They may need help or prompting, but you may be surprised how great they already see themselves.
2. Spell the words out with the stickers on their canvas. Place them all over in no order in particular.
3. Let the kids paint over the stickers on the canvas into whatever they want. I suggest trying to get paint that will match their room.
4. When they are done painting, let it dry, then peel off the stickers. You will be left with a colorful art piece that has positive affirmations on how you and your child see them self.
5. Hang their picture in their room or wherever they will see it often. Hopefully, it will remind them of their unique gifts and help them want to develop themselves into a leader of the next generation.
Raising children who will grow up and be ready to step into leadership roles is important. That is why 4-H is launching their new campaign “Grow True Leaders”. 4-H believes that every child has the potential to be a true leader, but they just need to be taught and given the opportunity.
Through 4-H programs, youth can be given experiences needed to develop these leadership skills. As part of the “Grow True Leaders” campaign, 4-H is recruiting parents and others, who play a role in children’s lives, to create a movement that recognizes our youth leaders across the country via “Shout Outs” using #TrueLeaders.
America and the rest of the world, needs us as parents and role models to children, to step up. Teach our youth what it means to be a leader. Join 4-H in recognizing those efforts. “Be the change you want to see in the world”. -Gandhi
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of 4-H. The opinions and text are all mine.