It’s amazing to see how technology evolves! My husband and I were just talking this past week about what cell phones where like when we were teenagers and even before then when they were a huge block of a phone and very few people had one. You can actually see a picture history on the evolution of phones on Wikipedia that shows the history of cellphones only being 20 years old! Phones today have come so far and now, it seems, you can’t live without a smartphone! In fact, a recent New York Times article even talked about how we are becoming addicted to our smartphones. I do really appreciate the advances in technology that make life simpler in a lot of ways. I know that there are certainly ways I have come to depend on my smartphone that I use without a data plan.
Ways Apps Can Be Useful in Our Lives
- Productivity – No longer do you have to be tied to a desktop computer to get some work done! Granted, it is a bit harder with a small keyboard, but it is a great way to use some downtime you may have traveling. I use apps like Officesuite Pro and my WordPress app to get work done when I can.
- Health - Apps can make tracking and motivation for getting in shape easier! I am often seeing friends and family members share their recent runs on Facebook. Apps like Mapmyrun make it easy to track mileage and share in a fun way your personal progress. This provides great motivation for me to try to get in shape too, seeing others around me succeed!
- Entertainment – Of course the apps marketplace are loaded with lots of games. With tons of free options or many that are very inexpensive, you can use your phone for a cheap or free way to entertain! Many of these games can also serve a dual purpose of being educational as well. Word games can help build your vocabulary or strategy games to build your logic skills. Many kids apps help teach math, science, reading skills and more!
- Directions – I am horrible at directions and always seem to get lost. Using a smartphone makes finding places easy as GPS capabilities can map right where you are and if you miss a turn can quickly recalculate for you. Plus, you don’t have to haul along an extra GPS unit or can even use it for walking directions.
- Coupons/Discounts – I am always checking on my phone for mobile discounts as we are usually out and about when we decide where to go to eat, play, etc. There are still many improvements to come in this arena, but I have been able to save money by doing a quick search to look for discounts before heading to the store.
- Search – Gone are the days where a question seems to go unanswered! Now, if you don’t know, you just do a quick Google search and can usually very quickly find an answer. Search capabilities can also help find store directions and hours and the like as well.
- Social – Sharing pictures and updates becomes so easy with a smartphone! We use our smartphones a lot while on vacations especially to share fun pictures of our adventures that normally would have had to wait to be shared until we were home from the trip.
What ways do you use your smartphone to improve your life? Check out the android blog for lots of other fun information, apps, and accessories for your smartphone!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. I will be compensated for my time and efforts on this post.