This summer Phase 4 Films and Redbox are teaming up to bring you their “Summer Family Fun” campaign and a chance to win Round-trip tickets for four to Toronto, a 4-day West Coast Princess Cruise for four with airfare, or a 7-day vacation for four to the Kennedy Space Center. All you need to do to enter is rent one of their selected “Family Fun” titles from your local Redbox! Here are eight of the Phase 4 Film movies featured in this campaign and a synopsis…
This lighthearted animated film is based on the true story of Belka and Strelka, two dogs sent to space in 1960 who humbly become the world’s most famous canine cosmonauts. Rated G//88 minutes
The animated tale follows the courageous Princess Kiara as she conquers the evil Dreadmis and restores harmony to her beautiful kingdom, Dreamzone. Rated PG//80 minutes
Starring Peter Fonda, Mira Sorvino and Louis Gossett Jr., this heartwarming movie tells the story of thirteen-year-old Ben and his smart farm dog who helps teach Ben important life lessons about friendship, family and responsibility. Rated PG//94 minutes
This animated film centers around ten-year-old Victor who can’t wait to perform in his town’s talent show with his dog Sausage. The town bully Freddy Frogface has a sinister plot to spoil Victor’s plans. Rated PG/85 minutes
Based on the 400 year-old Spanish classic, Don Quijote de la Mancha, this animated film follows Rucio, the bravest donkey of Castile, as he tells the story of the legendary Don Quixote. Rated PG//90 minutes
I Heart Shakey
Starring Steve Lemme of Broken Lizard and Steve Guttenberg, I Heart Shakey follows J.T., and his daughter Chandler as they move from a small town to Chicago where they are forced to find their lovable mutt Shakey a new home. Chandler hatches a plan to keep Shakey and teaches her dad a valuable lesson about loyalty and the importance of keeping family together. Rated PG//102 minutes
Featuring the voice of Glee’s Jane Lynch, Rockstars is an animated film about Gloria and Barry, two earthworms who attempt to make the world’s greatest disco band. Rated PG//78 minutes
My Friend Bernard
This animated movie follows Sam and his polar bear sidekick Bernard. Bernard helps Sam conquer his fears and stand up to scary monsters with bravery and humor. Rating Pending//70 minutes
Besides watching movies, there are several other ideas to do inside for the last few weeks of summer. Some of them include…
- Create Your Own “Mad Libs” by taking a favorite story, maybe a family trip, a fairy tale or a fable of your own creation and type it out in 500 simple words. Next, pull out 10 nouns, 10 adjectives, 8 verbs and all proper nouns. Replace with fill-in-the-blank placeholders and print out. Grab a pen and prepare for endless laughter with the entire family. Remember, the sillier the story, the more giggles from the kids!
- Create Your Own Crafting Doughwith this simple recipe…Basic Ingredient Ratios:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup cream of tartar
- Food coloring
Mix flour, salt and cream of tartar in a bowl. Add oil and water and knead either with the dough hook of a standing mixer (5-6 minutes) or by hand (8-10 minutes) until the dough is soft and workable.
Make a divot in the center of the dough, add a few drops of food coloring and fold dough working coloring through (you may want to divide dough into several balls for a variety of colors)
When you’re done playing store your craft dough in an air-tight container (if it begins to dry out, you can knead a bit of water in again to soften the dough)
- Create Your Own Card Castleby placing two cards with the long edges touching in an upside-down V to make a triangle. Place a second set next to this triangle and so on until you are happy with the size of your base (you can put several rows to give your castle more depth)Now comes the tricky part! Lightly lay a row of cards on top of the triangle points and begin your second layer on top of the first. Challenge yourself…how big can your castle get before it falls?
- Create Your Own Indoor Tent by propping up sturdy sofa cushions and pillows next to a bed or sofa to make the walls of your fort. Then drape a sheet of blanket over the walls to make the roof. Want a window? Place a small pillow between two big ones you can see outside. For your door, drape a sheet over the entrance or build a tunnel by leaning cushions against one another. Your tent is a great place to relax with friends and play games!
I loved the idea of this Rainy Day S-O-S Kit and the products that were included! During the summer here in AZ, it is over 100 just about every single day. I guess you could call it a “To Hot to go Outside S-O-S Kit”. In the summer we either stay inside or go swimming! It was so nice to get some new ideas of things to do inside when it’s too hot to go outside! The Phase 4 movies were super cute and have been a part of our “movie nights” we have at least a couple times a week. The yellow fleece blanket was perfect for making a fort! It was huge so it allowed all my kiddos to hide inside! We have 2 big beanbags in our play room so we lay the blanket over both and it makes a nice hideout in between. If you don’t have a big enough blanket, you could purchase fleece by the yard at your local craft store! I also loved the “create your own” Mad Libs idea! I loved Mad Libs as a kid and had fun trying it out with my kids! Playing cards have also been a big part of our summer break. We really enjoy playing card games together, but haven’t built a card house in a really long time! I don’t even know if my kids remember the last time! The last idea was to make Crafting Dough. My husband isn’t a huge fan of any type of “Play-Doh”, so we had to find time while he was at work to pull this one off! We had a blast trying out all these ideas and will definitely be using them again in the weeks to come! I would also recommend the Phase 4 “family friendly” films mentioned here for families with kids of all ages! Be sure to check out Redbox for your chance to win one of several prizes!
All 8 family-friendly Phase 4 DVD’s are available at Redbox through August. You can also purchase them at Amazon, Target or Walmart. Check out the Redbox Summer Family Fun site for your chance to win some awesome prizes!
One A Mom’s Take readers will win
a copy of Smitty on DVD
Ends 8/3/2012 at 11:59 PM ET. Open to US Only.
- Rules –
Disclosure: I received a Summer Movie Pack in exchange for my honest review. I was not compensated in any other manner. The opinions expressed above are my own and any claims should be verified on the sponsor’s site.