1. Compare the technical specs, not just the price point. It is really important to compare the different aspects such as megapixels, processor speeds, memory, items such as this that really affect the price point. If you are comparing price alone you will end up with the cheapest item which will likely not be the best value over all for what you receive.
2. Shop around!! Be sure to check out all the different store ads so you can get a really good feel for the typical price versus a really good sale price for the item you are shopping for. Having all the ads in front of you also helps you realize what features are important to you and what price point you may be looking at.
3. Check out the “extras”. A lot of times with sales shopping, rather than lowering price they will throw in a bunch of extras. If you are in the market for the particular items they are throwing in, it might make for a great deal. Be careful not to think it is a super good value if the extra items are not something you had in mind anyways. For example a lot of times a camera will include a memory card and carrying case. If you already have these items from another older camera they aren’t really making a good deal if you don’t need the extras. If the extras ARE something you would have shopped for anyways such as games to go with a gaming systems – you may just score a great deal!
4. Shop Online! Don’t be afraid to buy your tech purchases online! Many online stores do not charge tax and will offer quick shipping options. You can also often get the same warranties and guarantees as in store if you want to add those on. The major online retailers also have very good customer service if you do encounter any problems!
5. Read Reviews!!! This one has been SO helpful to me!! So often I have picked out the product I thought would be the perfect fit for me based on price and specs and then read the reviews to find out even though this product looks perfect, it has some flaw! I love Amazon for reading reviews, but there are many great websites out there to search reviews. You can even look through the online store you are shopping at to see reviews for the item you are looking at! If the reviews are all positive then you will feel even more secure about that item you have decided on!
What are your great tips for shopping for those tech gadgets during the Holidays? Are there any on your list you are shopping for this year? I would love to hear all the ways you are able to save money when shopping for your technology purchases!